Saturday, October 31, 2015

I also want to return something to the govt

 I also want to return something to the govt

I am a small fry yet I want to return something to the govt. But for this I should first be able to locate what I have to return to and also see to it that it is worth returning. And, to cap it all, will  this act get me the much-craved for publicity ?
As is true of most of those living in metropolis, my neighbors of ten years don't know about me and it feels quite frustrating that to most of them I am nobody.
Coming to the point,  I have a few things that are prefixed or suffixed with the word AWARD and they are as follwing:
*#RuralNationalMerit Scholarship, Awarded by the Central Govt when Prof Nurul Hassan was the Education Minister;
*#NationalMerit Scholarship, Awarded by the Central Govt;
*#MCM Scholarship, Awarded by JNU;
*#ResearchFelloship, Awarded by UGC;
*Ph. D , Awarded by JNU,
*DNA-Stars of the Industry
#InnovativeLeadership Award ;
*DNA-Stars of the Industry
#EducationalLeadership Award, etc.
Add to this that yours truly was one of the youngest (35) #Macmillan authors (#BeforeTheHeadlines)  in #India in the domain of #TVJournalism and his
#DictionaryOfMediaAndJournalism was well-received by the students, academics and professionals alike.

With this list in mind, I speak to a few Award-returning #PublicIntellectual friends to find out whether I can join their bandwagon by returning the aforementioned things awarded to me.

To my dismay, they have an emphatic NO.
Why?
They argue that what I got was for my academic or professional excellence and institutional commitment, not in recognition of any public service by the govt though the latter two Awards are in the nature of
#publicservice but given by a #private-professional body, not any #govt.

In this #ReturnYourAwardsSeason I am disappointed to such an extent that even in future I may have nothing to return to the govt in response to #AwardWapsi #campaigns waged by public intellectuals.
This brings me to another question:
How do you become a public intellectual?
I possibly can never be one,  because I love my country and her people without denigrating everything Indian in general and Hindu in particular and feel quite proud as a #Hindu too though am not more than a part-time believer in #God.
O my Lord! Will you ever bless me with the capacity to be Fearlessly Fearful like #Gulzar Saheb and so also with #SelectiveAmnesia making me insensitive to facts in times of need?
The last one is the most important because with all my efforts I have not been able to announce from rooftop that the death of an #Ekhlaq is more damaging than that of a #Poojary or that #EthnicCleansing of #KashmiriHindus is not a serious violation of Human Rights or #DelhiRiots are #Secular while #GujaratRiots #Communal.

In case of the above not happening, o my Lord! I have only gratitude to return to the govt for what I have got from it since my childhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home